A Distinguished Engineer in my company has recommended me for a position after I informally expressed to them my interests in applying. It is undoubtedly due to their recommendation that I have now been invited to apply.
I have sent a thoughtful "thank you" email. Would a small gift (a card, flowers, or a nice desert) be inappropriate -- or, given the influence they have regarding my employment, even unethical?
- The chance to apply wouldn't be open without his help.
- I am early in the application process.
- I do not report to (or even work with) this engineer.
- This engineer works in a remote office, but I could probably secure their mailing address.
- The position would take me from being a part-time student intern to a full-time junior engineer.