The situation I ended up is a bit weird.
Let's put the facts down:
- I am working in company A for few years.
- I got a contract to start working in compaby B by 1st of month X. Already signed.
- Company B wanted me to start as soon as possible. By the date they confirmed they wanted to hire me, I told them the earliest I can start is 1st of month X. That is why we put that date in the contract.
- Although I was not very explicit, i.e. never written, just in oral conversation, it was clear that I can only start on 1st of month X because I have to work in company A till 31st of month X-1 and need time to relocate (it is another city).
- I expected actually to leave company B by 31st of month X-2. Therefore having holiday the full month X-1.
- It turned out they allow me to quit earlier, so I can have holiday two months! Great so I can be off on month X-1 and X-2.
So far so good... but:
- I want to be travelling to other countries during month X-1 and X-2. During the two months is ok if I come back to the country of the company few times. But need to be pre-planned so I know how to organize my trip, flight tickets etc.
- Company B assumes I am working in the country so they want me to drop by a couple of times for some required paperwork.
- Company B wants to fly me out of the country at end of month X-2 for one week. That is for the paperwork.
So, how can I...
a) Be able to schedule my drops by their office when it is convenient for my travel schedule? I.e. how to tell them "I cannot come to sign on the day you proposed, I can only on next Tuesday at 3 pm" If I am supposed to be around, I am supposed to have more flexibility.
b) Be able to match the flight they want to buy my with my trip plans?
it comes to the question: Should I tell I have a trip plan during that period and then ask them to please help to adapt to it or should I not reveal that, and just try to fit the appointments as good as possible with my trips?