I've been contracting exclusively with the same company for a few years now with the same rate, so an raise is overdue. This has been already communicated to the company by a third agent (who takes care of this negotiations for me) and I'm currently waiting on a decision which should happen in the next months (The company is reeeealy slow when it comes to this things, that's not such an issue for me).
Right now, there's a big project in the company taking place, it would be almost suicidal for this project to let me go at this point. I'm also paid above average in the company, but I have a very good reputation for the quality of my work.
The trick is: I currently work a total of 40-45 hours a week and would prefer to reduce it to 30 so I can focus on other projects, i.e., contract with other companies as well, learn new skills... So, I'm not sure how to play this. Should I:
- Come forward about this before the decision takes place, making it look like "Because it's taking you so long to decide on my rates (it'll be up to 9 months totally), I'm afraid I can no longer work full time and need to consider alternatives". Not precisely with this wording, but something along those lines.
- OR: wait until they approve a rate, which will be (I guess) less than I asked for, and go like "For this rate, I'm afraid I can only work a max of 30 hours", somehow pretending is their fault.
It wouldn't be hard for me to find another job and I've saved enough so I don't need to work right away, but this is overall a good job and the prefered outcome is to work less hours with a small raise. How should I play this?
Clarification I charge per hour, so I wouldn't be demanding more money for less work, the total would end up probably being less that then pay now each month. The raise is due in any case, if they're not willing to increase the rate at all, then it's over. The point is, given a raise is coming, and I (secretly) want to actually work less hours, should I bring it up before or after the come up with the updated rate? I know it sounds pretentious from my side, but I'm right now in a very good position to make this happen and management here has a history of just reacting if you're though on them.