- A few days ago my project manager asked to learn some other language to work on services related to those language. It took me few days and I learned it but I didn't got any work related to that language
- Now after few days gap my project manager asked me to learn another language and assigned some work related to this language.
- The promotion round just ended and they have not given me promotion.
- I am not able to tell them NO because I am in a very low position (just an associate while they are a manager!)
- I am not interested to learn those language which they told me, I don't want to be jack of all trades and king of none. Instead I want to be better in what I know.
Edit:- I am not against learning new things which are beneficial to them, the point is I am trading off my time for developing skills beneficial for them and not for my career ..I think if I will spend more time in the languages I know which are right now in good demand in this industry I can get better opportunity and pay.
I know these managers are making work out of me as their business needs, otherwise they would have to hire more developers who has that specific skills, in other words, i am in one way playing polyglot role and cutting the cost of this project.
Now, with the given scenarios, what can i do to receive appreciation and hike/promotion if i continue to be working like this and learning new languages as per as business needs ?
Note my manager is not a developer and they have very limited knowledge on development work and especially those languages which they asked me to learn.
New Edit(10-04-2019): Today they asked me to learn python, and i have already started learning.